Dr. Earl Bland, professor of psychology, comes to Biola from MidAmerica Nazarene University in the Kansas City area, where he was a professor of psychology and dean of the School of Behavioral Sciences and Counseling. After completing his doctorate in clinical psychology from the Illinois School of Professional Psychology, Bland worked in forensic, medical and church settings before obtaining a faculty position. Bland recently co-authored a book with Brad Strawn of Fuller Seminary titled, Christianity and Psychoanalysis: A New Conversation. Earl has had an active role in the Christian Association for Psychological Studies and is a board member of the Society for the Exploration of Psychoanalytic Therapies and Theology. He is a scholar, teacher, supervisor, and integrator of psychology and Christian thought.
- American Psychological Association
- Christian Association for Psychological Studies
- International Association for Psychoanalytic Self Psychology
- Greater Kansas City/Topeka Psychoanalytic Society
- Society for the Exploration of Psychoanalytic Therapies & Theology
- Bland, E.D. (in press). On specks and planks: Psychotherapy, spiritual formation and moral judgment. Manuscript submitted for publication
- Bland, E.D. & Strawn, B. D. (Eds.) (2014). Christianity and psychoanalysis: A new conversation. Downers Grove: IVP Academic.
- Bland, E.D. (2010). Finding self, forming virtue: The treatment of narcissistic defenses in marriage therapy. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 29, 158-165.
- Hicks, M. W., Bland, E. D., & Hoffman, L. (2010). Restoring the voice of Tamar: Three psychoanalytic views on rape in the Bible. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 29, 141-148.
- Bland, E.D. (2009). The divided self: Courage and grace as agents of change. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 28, 326-337.
- Bland E.D. (2008). An appraisal of psychological & religious perspectives of self-controlJournal of Religion and Health, 47, 4-16.
- Bland, E.D. & Henning, D.D. (2007). Finding meaning in chronic pain: The dynamics of acceptance. In P.T.P. Wong, L.C.J. Wong, M.J. McDonald, & D.W. Klaassen (Eds.), The positive psychology of meaning & spirituality (pp. 197-208). Abbotsford, BC: INPM Press.
- Bland, E.D. (2007, December 26). Beyond betrayal [Review of the book infidelity: A practitioner's guide to working with couples in crisis]. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology: APA Review of Books, 52 (No. 52), Article 9.
- Bland, E.D. (2007, May 23). The tragedy of hope [Review of the book Reason’s grief: An essay on tragedy and value]. PsycCRITIQUES-Contemporary Psychology: APA Review of Books, 52 (No. 21), Article 6.
- Bland, E.D. (2003). Psychology - church collaboration: Finding a new level of mutual participation. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 22, 299-303.
Note: this is only a select list of publications by this faculty member.
For a complete list, please see their CV Document.
Invited Professional & Academic Presentations
- Bland, E. D. (2014, November). Christianity & psychoanalysis: A new conversation. Paper & presentation at the Greater Kansas City & Topeka Psychoanalytic Center Seminar Series, Kansas City, MO
- Bland, E. D. (2014, April). On specks & planks: Why moral judgment is always impaired. Presentation at the annual 7 x 7 Faculty symposium, MidAmerica Nazarene University, Olathe, KS
- Bland, E.D. & Horsmon, C. (2014, January), Searching the psyche through cinema: The psychology of suspense. Psychoanalytic film review & discussion of Alfred Hitchcock’s Strangers on a Train. A public presentation for the Greater Kansas City & Topeka Psychoanalytic Center.
- Frye, T. M. & Bland, E.D. (2013, April). The DSM-5: Ethics related to diagnosis. Professional seminar, MidAmerica Nazarene University, Olathe, KS
- Frye, T. M, Bowman, T. Bland, E.D., & Koeneman, S. (2013, February). Preparing for the DSM-5: What the practicing clinician needs to know. Professional seminar symposium, MidAmerica Nazarene University, Olathe, KS
- Bland E. D. (2012, August). Diamond’s and steel: The plight of self in counseling. Paper presented at the MidAmerica Nazarene University Masters of Counseling Annual Symposium, Olathe, KS
- Bland, E.D. (2011, September). Significance. Presentation to the freshman class at MidAmerica Nazarene University, Olathe, KS
- Bland, E.D. & Hiestand, T. C. (2011, February). Juvenile sexting: Psychological and legal concerns. Presentation of the Olathe School district High School Counselors, MidAmerica Nazarene University, Olathe, KS
- Bland, E.D. (2007, December). Pursuing academic excellence. Presentation to the faculty and administration of MidAmerica Nazarene University, Olathe, KS
- Bland, E.D. (2004, November). Reflections in the mirror: Assessment and diagnosis of narcissistic personality styles. Presentation at the Kansas Association of Marriage and Family Therapy Fall Diagnostic Workshop, Lenexa, KS.
- Bland, E.D. (2002, May). Identifying psychological risk factors in health & safety. Presentation at the Mid-America Safety, Health & Environmental Conference and Exposition, Osage Beach, MO.
- Bland, E.D. (2001, December). Psychological aspects of pain management. Paper presented at the Bixby Institute Pain Management Symposium, Research Medical Center, Kansas City, Missouri.
- Bland, E.D. (2001, June). Psychology of an injury. Paper presented at the Missouri Division of Worker’s Compensation Annual Conference on Worker’s Compensation Issues, Osage Beach, Missouri.
- Bland, E.D. (2000, June). Barriers in Return To Work. Presentation at the International Association of Industrial Accident Boards and Commissions - Central States Region Conference, Overland Park, KS.
- Bland, E.D. (1999, September). Psychological Barriers in Return To Work. Presentation at the State of Kansas Department of Human Resources - Workers Compensation Annual Seminar, Overland Park & Wichita, KS
- Bland, E.D. (1998, October). Psychological factors impacting chronic pain. Presentation at the Health Midwest EHS Forum Overland Park, KS.
Note: this is only a select list of presentations by this faculty member.
For a complete list, please see their CV Document.